Thanks for Reading!
My Academic Articles are available Here and linked below.
My Forbes.com columns are available Here. Contact me if you’d like new ones delivered to your inbox.
I also publish frequently in the media. Publications have included the Washington Post, L.A. Times, Fast Company, Crunchbase, The Diplomat, and The National Interest. Representative media pieces are linked below.
I blog at Balkinization.
Contact Me to be added to my distribution list when new articles and media pieces are released.
Representative Bibliography With Links:
Border Problem: The Politicization of Refugee Crises (working book project)
The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Immigration Law (forthcoming, 2023) (with Stella Burch Elias and Kevin Cope)
Law as a Battlefield: The U.S., China, and Global Escalation of Lawfare, 106 Cornell L. Rev. __ (forthcoming, 2020).
The New Fighting Words?: How U.S. Law Hampers the Fight Against Information Warfare, 22 U. Pa. J. Const. L. 81 (2019) (with Manal Cheema).
Protecting First Amendment Rights in the Fight Against Disinformation: Lessons Learned from FISA, 79Md. L. Rev. 114 (2019) (with Manal Cheema).
Checking Rights at the Border: Detention of Migrants in International and Comparative Law 60 Va. J. Int’l L. 156 (2020).
Displaced: A Proposal for a New International Agreement to Protect Refugees, Migrants, and States, 35 Berkeley J. Int’l L. 47 (2017).
Curse of the Nation-State: Refugees, Migration, and Security in International Law, 48 Ariz. St. L. J. 579 (2016).
Regulating Human Rights: International Organizations, Flexible Standards, and International Refugee Law 14 Chi. J. Int’l L. 453-92 (2014).
Veiled Political Questions: Islamic Dress, Constitutionalism, and the Ascendance of Courts, 61 Am. J. Comp. L. 1 (2013) (peer-reviewed).
Sanctioning Faith: Religion, State, and U.S.-Cuban Relations, 25 J. L. & Pol. 179 (2009).
Blaine’s Name in Vain?: State Constitutions, School Choice, and Charitable Choice, 83 Denv. U. L. Rev. 57 (2005).
Administratively Quirky, Constitutionally Murky: The Bush Faith-Based Initiative, 8 N.Y.U. J. Legis. & Pub. Pol’y 359 (2005).
SHORTER WORKS AND WORKS IN COLLECTIONS:
Information Lawfare: Messaging and the Moral High Ground, __ J. Nat. Sec. L. & Pol’y (forthcoming, 2021) (peer-reviewed).
“Revolution” at the Capitol: How Law Hindered the Response to The Events of January 6, 2021, __U. Md. L. Rev. __ (forthcoming, 2021)
Two Oaths: Supporting and Defending the Constitution with Hamilton, in Lisa Tucker, ed., Hamilton and the Law: Reading Today’s Most Contentious Legal Issues Through the Hit Musical (2020).
The Law and Politics of Displacement, 113 Am. Soc’y Int’l L. Proc. 109 (2019) (editor of panel proceedings).
Business and Human Rights, 112 Am. Soc’y Int’l L. Proc. 323 (2019) (editor of panel proceedings).
When Law Migrates: Refugees in Comparative International Law, in Paul Stephan, Anthea Roberts, and Mila Versteeg, eds., Comparative International Law, Oxford University Press (2018).
Virtues Are Not Enough: A Response to Michael Ignatieff, 13 J. Int’l L. & Int’l Relations 15 (2017).
International Decisions: Khlaifia and others v. Italy, App. No. 16483/12 (European Court of Human Rights, 2016), 112 Am. J. Int’l L. 274, 2018.
International Decisions: Plaintiff M68/2015 v. Minister for Immigration and Border Protection & Ors (110 Am. J. Int’l L. 546, 2016).
Refugees and International Security, in On the Move: Migration Challenges in the Indian Ocean Littoral, 29-42 (Henry L. Stimson Center, 2010).
Fire Prevention: A Review of Amy Chua’s World on Fire, 23 UCLA Pac. Basin L. J. 78 (2006).
REPRESENTATIVE MEDIA AND BLOGGING:
- My Forbes.Com columns are available Here.
- Op-Ed, Zoom’s Moral Bargaining Has Consequences for America, National Interest, February 4, 2021. https://perma.cc/VZL6-6QFC
- Lawyers, Guns, and Twitter: Wargaming the Role of Law in War, War on the Rocks, February 2, 2021 (with Col Tom Gordon, Col (Ret) Adam Oler, and Laurie Blank). https://perma.cc/2YGQ-8N7X
- Op-Ed, War Has Rules. The United States Must Respect Them, National Interest, December 29, 2020. https://perma.cc/3R57-6A55
- American Bar Association National Security Law Section, National Security Law Today Podcast, “Marines, Migrants, and Mentorship,” Ep. 142, September 10, 2020.
- Center for International Maritime Security, Sea Control Podcast, “Lawfare at Sea,” May 26, 2020.
- Ipse Dixit Podcast, “China’s Use of Lawfare,” Season 1, Ep. 493, February 26, 2020.
- Fordham Law Center on National Security, Vital Interests Issue 16, The Grim Circumstances of Refugees and Migrants, January 30, 2020. https://tinyurl.com/kh2prckw
- Eagles, Globes, and Anchors Podcast, Marine Corps University, The Constitutional Challenge of Fighting Information Warfare, January 8, 2020.
- Op-Ed, A Non-Binding UN Human Rights Agreement Can Still Be Powerful, National Interest, December 16, 2018. https://goo.gl/CTMyub
- Op-Ed, Stop the Constitutional Crisis, Huffington Post, January 30, 2017. https://goo.gl/OrqkeL
- Op-Ed, Muslim Refugees Can Still Enter the U.S. Here’s How to Help Them, Huffington Post, January 28, 2017. https://goo.gl/IxaOyg
- Op-Ed, Should Europe Abandon its Migrant Deal with Turkey?, National Interest, October 5, 2016 (with Carl Hvenmark). https://goo.gl/KqqZQ8
- Op-Ed, Leave Gabby Douglas Alone, Huffington Post, Aug. 23, 2016. http://huff.to/2bMGao6.
- Podcast, Proposal for a Displaced Persons Convention, Academic Council on the U.N. System, July 27, 2016. http://goo.gl/6P4qiR
- Op-Ed, China Can’t Ignore the Hague’s Decision—But it Can Avoid It, Huffington Post, July 13, 2016. http://goo.gl/0QBQ2Y
- Op-Ed, The EU Must Act Now on Migration to Save Itself, National Interest, July 12, 2016 (with Carl Hvenmark). http://goo.gl/9X5c8r
- Op-Ed, Paris Attacks Reveal ISIS’ Weakness, Not its Strength, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, November 25, 2015 (with Vera Mironova). http://goo.gl/BHTxsc
- Fact Sheet, U.S. Resettlement of Syrian Refugees, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, November 18, 2015. http://goo.gl/5wVW3F
- Op-Ed, Europe’s Migrant Policing Initiative has Nothing to do With Migration, National Interest, November 9, 2015. http://goo.gl/BJIU41
- Op-Ed, International Law is The Real Threat to China’s South China Sea Claims, The Diplomat, Nov. 3, 2015. http://goo.gl/WsNV0F
- Op-Ed, We’re Putting Lives in Danger By Not Clarifying What it Takes to Get Asylum in Europe, Huffington Post, Nov. 3, 2015. http://goo.gl/r0KnGS
- Debunking Myths: Refugees, Migrants, and Chicago Violence (Radio Islam Chicago broadcast Oct. 19, 2015). https://goo.gl/F7ALwK
- This Will Challenge Your Misconceptions about the Refugee Crisis, The World with Marco Werman (PRI Broadcast September 30, 2015). http://goo.gl/KSX1Bq
- Five Myths about Syrian Migrants, Washington Post, Sunday Outlook, September 27, 2015. https://goo.gl/47sblW
- Migrant or Refugee?: That Shouldn’t Be a Life-or-Death Question, Washington Post, Monkey Cage Blog, September 8, 2015. https://goo.gl/n9ri50
- Op-Ed, Saved: International Law Needs to Protect Asylum-Seekers, National Interest, April 29, 2015. http://goo.gl/U7aJpK
- Op-Ed, Time to Revise America’s Cuban Immigration Policy, National Interest, January 21, 2015. http://goo.gl/keqE1W
- Op-Ed, Solving the Middle East’s Refugee Disaster, National Interest, July 30, 2014. http://goo.gl/aN0x5s
- Op-Ed., Egypt’s Constitutional Crisis, L.A. Times, August 8, 2013, at A15 (with David Landau). http://goo.gl/6ob2FF
- Here & Now: Egypt’s Military Deposes President Morsi, (NPR broadcast July 3, 2013). http://goo.gl/k8hq8x
- Quoted in The Boston Globe, The International Business Times, The Globe and Mail (Toronto), Ha’aretz (Israel), among others. Research featured in The Washington Post, The New Yorker, and The Atlantic.
- Blogger, Balkinization, January 2020-present.
- Contributor, PrawfsBlawg
- 2018-2019 Columnist, ICONnect blog (selected as columnist for the flagship blog of the International Journal of Constitutional Law).